What is a
Various factors contribute to the appearance of skin and its change. These are some of the reasons why this happens in the thigh area: gravity, aging, or pregnancy where weight was gained and lost. If fitness and weight control efforts have not achieved your goals for a body that is firmer, more youthful-looking and more proportionate to your overall body image, a surgical lift may be right for you.
Thigh Lift Candidates
In general, candidates for a thigh lift are:
- Patients whose weight is relatively stable
- Individuals with excess soft tissue along the inner (medial) thigh region and/or the outer (lateral) thigh
- Healthy individuals who do not have medical conditions that impair healing or increase risk of surgery
- Individuals with a positive outlook and realistic goals for what thigh lift surgery can accomplish
- Individuals committed to leading a healthy lifestyle, including proper nutrition and fitness
Thigh Lift Benefits
Results are visible almost immediately. However, it may take some time, up to 6 months for final results to develop. Some of the benefits are;
- Skin quality is improved both in appearance and feel
- Some visible scars will remain, but the overall results are long lasting, provided that you maintain a stable weight and general fitness
- As your body ages, it is natural to lose some firmness. However, most of your initial improvement should remain
- Although good results are expected from your procedure, there is no guarantee. In some situations, it may not be possible to achieve optimal results with a single surgical procedure and another surgery may be necessary
Thigh Lift Procedure
A thigh lift procedure takes approximately two to three hours to complete. The patient is placed under general anesthesia before the surgeon makes the incisions. The areas are marked out and pre-planned during the consultation.
The incision sites are determined by which portion of the thigh requires attention. For an inner thigh lift, incisions start from the groin and run down to wrap around the back of the thigh. Other incisions can run down the inseam to the knee from the groin.
Thigh Lift Recovery
During your recovery from thigh lift surgery, dressings/bandages may be applied to your incisions following the procedure.
Small, thin tubes may be temporarily placed under the skin to drain excess fluid or blood that may collect. These can help reduce risk of infection. Sutures will be removed in a couple of weeks, yet during this time, they advise patients not to use the bathtub, swim or use hot tubs. You will be given specific instructions by your GraceMed team for your post care.
Before / After
Commonly Asked Questions
How long will I be swollen after a thigh lift?
Swelling and brusing is to be expected after any plastic surgery procedure, and a thigh lift can produce some swelling, depending on the complexity of the surgery. Swelling can take some time to resolve.The majority of swelling should resolve within a 3 weeks to a month. Residual swelling can take up to six months or more to resolve, but patients will see preliminary results much sooner.
Are thigh lift results permanent?
The aging process is a continual process, and as we grow older additional skin laxity may occur. Plastic surgery can often slow down this process, but it won’t stop the effects of gravity and aging entirely.
When can I go home after a Thigh Lift procedure?
Thigh lift surgery can be extensive, buttypically an outpatient procedure, with patients being released the same day. You will need someone to come and pick you up as you will be unable to do so by yourself. GraceMed would suggest someone stay with you at least a day or two into your thigh lift recovery. You will appreciate having someone on hand, as you will not feel up for much in those first few days following surgery.
Will there be visible scars from a thigh lift surgery?
All surgery produces some scarring, and body contouring procedures such as a thigh lift often produce more scarring than most plastic surgery, due to the large incisions that must be made to remove excess skin. Our GraceMed plastic surgeons go above and beyond to minimize the apperance of scars and try to hide them naturally with the contours of your body. Incisions are made in discreet areas when possible, and a more limited thigh lift may only require a shorter incision beginning at the groin, and extending only part way down the thigh so that it can be covered underneath shorts or a skirt.